Pregnancy message board abbreviations can help you communicate quickly and efficiently while interacting online. However, the abbreviations can be a little confusing if you are new to online message boards. No matter if you are trying to conceive or if you are a seasoned parent, knowing the abbreviations is a great way to navigate message board posts with ease.
There are many reasons women look to message boards for support and guidance with pregnancy. Some forums are designed to help women deal with issues like gender disappointment, while others provide support for ways to manage high-risk pregnancy and conception.
Pregnancy Message Board Abbreviations
While it is nice to know all abbreviations, it simply isn't necessary when it comes to pregnancy forums. Take a look at the different subjects before dedicating time to rote memorization. A quick glance at the following lists may be enough to help you jog your memory as you read respective forums and message posts.
Women who are trying to conceive may spend considerable time finding guidance and support online through IVF boards and sites such as Fertility Friend. Some are looking for ways to conceive a certain gender while others are happy with either. Some common pregnancy message board abbreviations for conception include:
- TTC: trying to conceive is among the most common abbreviations found on forums for women trying to become pregnant.
- 2WW is the two-week waiting period between ovulation and monthly period.
- AF stands for "Aunt Flo", a euphemism for your period.
- AI is for artificial insemination.
- ART is assisted reproductive technology.
- BBT is the morning basal body temperature used to detect ovulation.
- BD is the "baby dance", euphemism for intercourse. Some also use BMS for baby making sex.
- BFN is a big fat negative pregnancy test result.
- BFP is a big fat positive pregnancy test result.
- CD is the cycle day.
- Dpo stands for days post ovulation, which also may be referred to as LP (luteal phase).
- Endo is endometriosis, a condition in which tissues from the uterus are located in other areas of the body.
- HCG Human chorionic gonadotropin is the hormone used to detect pregnancy in tests.
- FSH stands for the follicle-stimulating hormone that is developed in the pituitary gland and is used to help eggs reach maturation.
- FMU is the first morning urine typically used for the most accurate pregnancy test results.
- HPT stands for home pregnancy test.
- HSG is for Hysterosalpingogram, an x-ray of the fallopian tubes and the uterus.
- ICSI stands for intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection, an infertility treatment.
- IF is infertility.
- INCIID stands for the International Council on Infertility Information Dissemination.
- IUI is intrauterine insemination, commonly known as artificial insemination.
- IVF is in-vitro fertilization in which a fertilized egg is put into the uterus.
- LAP stands for laparoscopic surgery, a possible treatment for endometriosis (endo).
- LMP is the last menstrual period.
- LPD stands for a luteal phase defect that can interfere with conception.
- LH is the luteinizing hormone that may determine a cause for infertility.
- M/C is for miscarriage.
- O is used for ovulation.
- OPK is an ovulation predictor kit.
- PCO and PCOS stand for polycystic ovarian syndrome, a condition that may interfere with fertility.
- PCT is a post coital test that evaluates mucus to see if there was good environment for conception.
- POAS pee on a stick and PIAC pee in a cup are common approaches for home pregnancy tests (HPT).
- PID is for pelvic inflammatory disease, a serious condition that may lead to infertility.
- RE is a reproductive endocrinologist, an infertility specialist.
- SA is a semen analysis used to determine if the man is infertile.
- SHOW stands for soft, high, open, wet, a description of the cervix when it is at its peak of fertility.
- TCOYF stands for Taking Charge Of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Women trying to conceive also call the publication "the book".
Abbreviations in pregnancy forums often include many of the ones listed above. Additional initials to replace terms include:
- EDD is the estimated due date.
- EPO is evening primrose oil that some women use to help induce labor.
- H/B is the baby's heartbeat
- M/S is for morning sickness that can occur any time of day or night.
- Pg and prego stand for pregnant.
- Prog is for progesterone, a hormone that sustains pregnancy.
- U/S stands for ultrasound, a procedure that lets expecting parents see their babies in the uterus.
- UTI stands for urinary tract infection, which may be common in some pregnancies.
Some abbreviations may be found in a number of different messaging places, including pregnancy message boards. You may be familiar with many of the common initials like TMI for "too much information," HTH for "hope this helps," and YMMV for "your mileage may vary." YMMV is commonly used to indicate that everyone has unique experiences.
Occasionally, you will find a post that simply says BUMP. This is an attempt to "bump" the post to the top of the list so people who haven't read it yet have a chance to see the message immediately.
Many women discuss their relationships with significant people in their lives. Common abbreviations for pregnancy message forums include people in the immediate and extended family as well as professionals in the field.
Dear or darling people in the immediate family include DD for daughters, DS for sons, and DH for husbands. SO is the person's significant other.
In-laws are common topics of conversation and each abbreviation includes IL in this category. BIL for brother in law and MIL for mother in law, are examples.
The OB is the obstetrician and the gyn is the gynecologist.
Abbreviations help create a viable option to typing out longer words and commonly used phrases but there are many to memorize. Consider the types of message boards you are seeking as you decide which abbreviations you should keep at the tip of your fingers.