It's easy to find plus size maternity clothing, but not many stores offer swimwear options. They can be tough to find, but you don't need to give up on going to the beach or lying by the pool. Swimsuits in your size are out there if you know where to look. Some major retailers carry them, as well as specialty stores, so you can find a cute maternity suit that fits you well.
A popular maternity retailer, Motherhood Maternity, offers a full range of clothing and swimwear items. You'll find several swimsuit styles designed for plus size ladies in cute, on-trend designs. Shipping is free on orders of $125 or more, or standard shipping starts at about $8 for lesser amounts. Returns can be made within 30 days of purchase.
- Striped Tankini: This cute suit has a fun striped print and has a tie detail strap so it can be adjusted for support. It also has ruching on the side and is available in sizes 1X through 3X. Get this nylon/Spandex blend suit for about $45.
With their classic, quality items. Land's End is a popular clothing brand. They have a selection of swimwear that is designated maternity friendly in styles like swing tankinis and blousons that can accommodate a growing belly. Plus size maternity-friendly swimwear at Land's End is available in sizes 14 through 26. Their items are as separates, so you can mix and match styles to get the look you want.
- Blouson Tankini Top: The blouson-style tankini top from Land's End is loose fitting with a stretchy band that can go beneath your growing baby bump when needed. It comes in a fun pink and black floral print with soft but supportive cups. It is sold in sizes up to 26 for about $80.
You can pair either of these swim tops with a wide range of maternity-friendly plus size bottoms, including swim skirts, mid-rise bikini bottoms, ruched high-waisted bottoms in sizes 14 through 26, ranging in price from about $35 to $75.
Known for its stylish and usually affordable items, Old Navy offers maternity swimwear in sizes up to XXL (plus size 20). Styles include bandeau and halter tankinis, as well as swim separates including bikini tops, swim skirts, and maternity bikini bottoms. You can get free shipping if you spend $50 or more, and returns can be made within 45 days of purchase.
- Twist-front Halter Swimsuit: Available in violet floral print, solid teal, and ebony, this attractive suit has a twist-front bust and adjustable halter strap tie. The v-neck and drapey fit are both flattering and comfortable. You can find this suit for about $40 in sizes up to XXL.
Mermaid Maternity is a smaller online retailer, but one that specializes specifically in maternity swimwear. They offer several swimsuits in L (equivalent to a size 12-14), XL (16-18) and XXL (size 20). They also offer a smaller selection of swim separates in designated plus sizes 2XL and 3XL as well. Standard shipping via USPS is free on all orders (priority shipping starts at about $7), and returns can be made within 30 days of the purchase date.
- Boy Shorts: Your tankini top will pair perfectly with the attractive boy shorts swim bottoms from Mermaid Maternity. These come in sizes L through 2XL and offer full coverage in a streamlined style. Made with a stretchy blend that includes nylon, Lycra, and Spandex, they are comfortable. They coast just over $40.
- If you prefer a swim skirt style, Mermaid Maternity's swim skirt with attached boy shorts offers great coverage and a cute look. Also available in black, it's easy to mix and match with any swim top. This swim skirt is available for just over $50.
Ocean & Lily Activewear
Focused on functional but stylish activewear, Ocean & Lily offers a number of two-piece tankini swimsuit styles, with several in sizes up to XXL (18-20). Prices range from about $70 to $85. They offer free shipping on orders of $100 or more, or starting at about $8 for other orders. Since this is a Canada-based business, US customers can expect shipping to take about ten days. Unused items can be returned for refund or exchange within 30 days of the ship date.
- Cut Out Tankini and Skort: This swimsuit comes in a neutral charcoal print top and solid charcoal skort bottoms. Like the bikini bottoms, the skort offers three ways to wear it to adjust to your pregnancy. It has a supportive bust and a cute cut on the back. IT retails for about $70 and comes in sizes XXL.
PregO Maternity Wear
PregO started making maternity swimsuits in 1992. You'll find their suits at many online stores, but only some of them are available in plus sizes. The company doesn't sell directly to consumers, but Amazon.com features merchants offering the plus size suits.
- PregO Women's Babydoll Halter Maternity Swimsuit: Look pin-up girl pretty in this babydoll style swimsuit from PregO. The ruched front is universally flattering and provides good chest support while the bottoms are designed to fit comfortably over your belly. It comes in sizes S to 2X and retails for under $75.
- PregO Maternity Women's Empire One Piece Swimsuit: If you are an expectant mom who loves a minimalist look to her wardrobe, this black one-piece swimsuit from PregO will suit your fashion taste. The empire waist is flattering for most body types and the adjustable shoulder straps make it easy to adjust your comfort level. It is available in sizes XL to 1X and costs around $73.
Tips for Selecting Plus Size Swimwear
Merchant selections of maternity swimwear in plus sizes is not very extensive. Many maternity stores don't stock plus size suits or they may not carry swimwear at all. However, you should be able to find enough suits to give you a few styles to choose from.
You'll probably find skirted suits, basic tanks, and tankinis. Some of the skirted suits may feature generously cut skirts which fall from above the belly and offer a bit of sexy swing. You may also come across "swim skirts," which you use for coverage over more revealing bottoms. Tanks offer simplicity: no frills, no fuss, and they'll stay in place if you want to swim. Tankinis are two-piece suits with tank tops instead of bikini bras. Depending on the fit, your belly may peep out below the top.
Most shops that sell plus size maternity swimwear will tell you to choose the same size you normally wear. The suits are specially designed to allow room for your growing belly. However, if you've gained or lost weight with the pregnancy, you might find your size has changed. If you order online, check the return policy before you place your order.
An Important Accessory
In addition to swimwear, you may want a cover-up for cool evenings by the ocean or casual dinners poolside, and a t-shirt or sarong might not look attractive over your pregnant belly. Only a few stores offer cover-ups sized to pair with extended size maternity swimwear; therefore, you may need to get creative by using a cotton or linen button-down shirt from a plus size maternity active-wear line. Finally, try topping your swimwear with a flowing caftan or jersey knit dress made for plus size pregnant moms so you can stay comfy and still look polished and poised.
Combine Function With Fun
With all the discomfort associated with pregnancy, why add the stress of worrying how you might look in swimwear or fearing you may have to sacrifice an activity you enjoy like swimming because you can't find the perfect suit? With so many fashionable, functional styles available from merchants who specialize in providing extended sizes swimwear, you'll be able to enjoy swimming, lounging poolside, or soaking up some sun throughout your pregnancy in your new swimwear.