Finding good fitting maternity swim wear is a challenging prospect for many moms-to-be. It's hard enough finding the right fit regularly, but add in growing bellies and needed breast support and it can seem downright impossible. However, knowing your style and the kind of support you need can help make the search easier.
Shopping Options for Maternity Swimsuits
Knowing where to look for stylish maternity swimsuits can help shave time off shopping excursions. If you know your size and what style you like, you can find many swim wear options online. Most maternity stores will also carry a selection of swimsuits during the summer season.
Some sites to check out for a great selection of swim wear include the following options.
Stella Maternity offers hip swimsuits that can also be worn long after the baby arrives. Most styles are bikinis that can be coordinated with a matching sarong that can be worn over the tummy for a chic tankini look or around the waist in classic sarong style. Some styles you will find include:
- Seraphine Jessica Purple Maternity Bikini: Made famous by Jessica Alba who wore this suit during her pregnancy, this bikini is priced just under $90. It features a banded bikini bottom that can be worn up or down for a different looks and a comfortable yet supportive top. This Lycra suit comes in sizes small(2-4) to x-large(10-12).
- Prego Swimwear Dot Tie Front Maternity Bikini: This cute black polka dot bikini is priced around $85 and comes in sizes extra-small to large. It features a halter-style top with removable padding and an adjustable, fold/roll over bottom. This suit can be worn during pregnancy as well as when nursing your baby.
Fit Maternity offers swim wear styles that have been tested for endurance during outdoor and indoor swimming activities. Many styles are appropriate for lap swimming, jogging, or water aerobics. Several of the tankinis offer additional chest support through a special criss-cross design. Some styles to consider include:
- Twist Maternity Tankini: This tankini is priced under $70 and comes in your choice of brown, grey or black print that will flatter a pregnant figure. This style of suit features a form-fitting, tie halter top with padded cups and modestly cut bottoms. It comes in sizes extra-small to extra-large.
- OceanLily Fitted One Piece Maternity Swimsuit: This black one piece suit comes in sizes small to extra-large and is priced around $70. It features a mesh lining, side ruching to flatter your figure while adjusting to your perfect length and stylish front stitching.
Due Maternity features fashion-forward swimsuit styles in one, two, and even three pieces. Brands available include Seraphine, Maternal America, and Prego. Expect to find styles that can be worn for swimming or ones that are ideal for lounging by the pool. Some swimsuits to check out include:
- Maternal America Vanessa Maternity Skirted Tankini: This skirted tankini is priced around $115 and comes in sizes extra small to extra-large. It features a navy blue stripe halter top with a sweetheart neckline and solid navy blue bottom. This tankini is modest but super stylish and will be great to wear while hanging out by the pool.
- Prego Maternity Trimkini: This swimsuit is done in Betsey Johnson's aqua floral pattern and is priced under $90. It is available in sizes extra-small to extra-large. This swimsuit is flattering for pregnant figures and features a supportive halter style top and under the belly elastic waist bikini bottoms.
Destination Maternity has both online and in-store swimsuit collections. The stylish yet affordable suits come in tank, bikini, and tankini styles. This retailer also offers swim coverups, separates and accessories in the latest styles and colors of the season. Some swimsuits to consider include:
- Cross Back Maternity One-Piece Swimsuit: This one piece suit is priced under $40 and comes in sizes small to extra-large. It is done in a cute red and white dot print and features a cross back with convertible straps and a supportive belly panel. This suit can be worn for swimming as well as for lounging.
- Jessica Simpson Halter Maternity Tankini: This orange and white suit was designed by Jessica Simpson and is priced around $60. It comes in sizes small to extra-large and is adorable. It has a halter neckline and a traditional bikini bottom.
Tips for Maternity Swim Wear
Just as in regular swimsuits, maternity swim wear comes in several styles. Each style offers different features for the special needs of moms. For example, a tie-back halter neckline offers support to larger-chested women or for those who expect to grow as summer progresses. Other special features to look into include:
- Classic tanks with side shirring are good for women who expect their bellies to grow and those who want a good lap or water aerobics suit. This style offers coverage and support.
- Tankinis cover up stretch marks and come in a variety of styles. Shelf bras and soft cups offer upper support while bottoms can be purchased in regular bikini style or in full-coverage maternity styles.
- Bikinis are great for the mom who wants to show off her expanding belly! Additionally, bikini tops often come in underwire cups, offering exceptional support for a growing chest. With regular style bikini bottoms, moms may be able to wear the bikini post-baby as well. This style should be avoided for most moms who plan to be active since it usually does not provide enough support.
- Skirted bottoms work well for moms who are looking to cover additional weight gain in the thigh, hip, and butt area. Skirts can come on bikinis, tankinis, and regular tank suits.
Once you identify the areas you want help with, you can narrow your search to maternity swim wear that fits the criteria.
Another tip to keep in mind is if you are buying a suit early in your pregnancy, you may want to try it on in a store. Maternity stores offer strap-on bellies, allowing you to see how it will fit as you grow through the summer.
Fun and Functional
Maternity swimwear can be found in fun and functional styles. From suits to wear while swimming laps to ones that are cute to wear while sitting by the pool, you can find swim wear to fit the needs and style of any woman who is expecting a child.